Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Runaways


The Runaways

Released:
March 19th (limited)
April 9th (everywhere)

Starring:
Kristen Stewart
Dakota Fanning

Directed:
Floria Sigismondi









Plot Summary:

The movie chronicles THE RUNAWAYS from 1975 - 1977; formed by teenage girls living near Hollywood, CA., and heavily manipulated by their manager Kim Fowley as 'jailbait rock' (all the girls were 16 or younger when the band recorded their first album). The band ultimately succeeds on their own merits as musicians, becoming the first all-girl rock-band to ever break into the world of arena-filling hard rock acts. (imdb.com)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was definitely looking forward to see this movie when I saw the trailer for it. I admit I am a hardcore punk rock fan and even more so when its an all girl band so I was being a total fangirl for this movie.

Since it was made by an independent production company, Apparition, they tried to do a lot of promoting for it. They sent t-shirts, mini one sheets, pins, guitar picks, and static clings to my theater to promote it but the bad thing is that they sent it a day before the movie was supposed to come out. BAD! You are supposed to promote months in advance, if not earlier.

Look at Alice in Wonderland and Eclipse, they have been promoting their movies forever.

That should have been a sign to rethink my fangirl status but nope, I was still excited to go see it. It was a big disappointment, I remember sitting in the theater after it was over and thought to myself, "What was that?"

Going into the movie, I knew I was going to deal with the typical "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll" but this was way over the top. Every other scene was alcohol, jailbait, drugs, and lesbianism. The make up on Kristen Stewart made her look like a lesbian from the beginning and watching lesbian sex scenes with Dakota Fanning just doesn't sit right.

The movie was over the top but the plot was on point. It was very informative when it came to the band itself but the story was really one sided. I know it was about Cherie since she wrote the book but maybe the writers could have researched better and put the input of the other band members other than Joan Jett and Cherie.

I'm trying to pin point a specific part of the movie that I really liked but I honestly can't think of one. Well, the music was good.

The biggest disappointment was that in the trailers it emphasized the hardship of breaking into the industry because they are girls but in the movie, it was instant success and the only hardship they had was that

SPOILER! (highlight to reveal)
"Cherie ended up getting a diva complex and leaving the band."

Rate this movie:

Meh. It's not worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment